To calculate whether a product is eligible to carry the Logo and which Logo should be used, % ingredients at mixing bowl stage (raw ingredients before processing) must be provided. Total ingredients must equal 100%.
CORE ‘CERTIFIED STANDARDS’ LOGO FOR PRODUCTS WHERE THE CERTIFIED INGREDIENT MAKES UP AT LEAST 95% OF THE FINISHED PRODUCT.
The Core ‘Certified Standards’ Logo is for products where the Red Tractor certified ingredient makes up at least 95% of the finished product (we allow a 5% tolerance for seasoning). It is used on single ingredient food such as meat, fresh produce and milk and can also be used for composite products such as a bag of mixed salad leaves.
CORE ‘NAMED INGREDIENT’ LOGO FOR PRODUCTS WHERE THE CERTIFIED INGREDIENT MAKES UP 94% OR LESS OF THE FINISHED PRODUCT.
The ‘Named Ingredient’ Logo is for products where the Red Tractor certified ingredient(s) makes up 94% or less of the finished product. For example, the ‘chicken’ in a chicken kiev or items in multi-ingredient products such as ready meals, sandwiches, hot and cold pies.
Other licensing criteria apply, however a summary of key criteria for using this Logo are:
- The characterising ingredient(s) must be named, this can include two Red Tractor certified ingredients such as chicken and mushroom
- 100% of the characterising ingredient(s) must be certified to Red Tractor standards
- Additional ingredients must meet the eligibility criteria, for example stocks, gelatine and eggs
- In products containing two proteins, such as steak and kidney or chicken and ham, both proteins must be certified to Red Tractor standards
- On multi-ingredient products, the claim must relate to the characterising ingredient and this will normally be the protein, for example the beef in a lasagne. We do not allow secondary ingredients to be highlighted if the characterising ingredients are not Red Tractor certified
- On multi-ingredient products, main ingredients other than the characterising ingredient, such as the potato in a shepherd’s pie, will ideally be Red Tractor certified wherever possible.
For more information, please contact our Licensing Team.
Example: A marinated and cooked chicken product. Ingredients at mixing bowl stage as follows:
Water (in marinade): 22%
Spices (in marinade): 18%
Water is removed from the calculation which makes the total 78%.
78 (total) x 100 = 77%
ENHANCED WELFARE’ LOGO FOR CHICKEN PRODUCTS WHERE THE CERTIFIED INGREDIENT HAS BEEN ASSURED TO RED TRACTOR ENHANCED WELFARE STANDARDS, MEETS OUR ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA AND MAKES UP AT LEAST 95% OF THE FINISHED PRODUCT.
Underpinned by all the Certified Standards, the ‘Enhanced Welfare’ Logo is for chicken products where additional welfare requirements have been met. These include the use of slower growing breeds with over 28% more space than is required by European legislation and guaranteed natural light.
‘FREE RANGE’ LOGO FOR POULTRY PRODUCTS WHERE THE CERTIFIED INGREDIENT HAS BEEN ASSURED TO RED TRACTOR FREE RANGE STANDARDS, MEETS OUR ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA AND MAKES UP AT LEAST 95% OF THE FINISHED PRODUCT.
Underpinned by all the Certified Standards, the ‘Free Range’ Logo is for poultry products where the birds have had access to outdoor ranges for at least half of their life.